Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

You Don't Have to Buy

In my last post I mentioned having some rewards money from a couple of stores and how I strategized getting even more of a discount. Well, here's another thought. Just because you have a coupon or rewards dollars doesn't mean you have to use it. This is about being smart, savvy and saving money wherever you can. Buying things 'just 'cuz' you have a discount is not smart or savvy.

So I was ready to use my rewards from The Children's Place which was $10 off a $40 purchase. Now that's only 25% off. I also accessed their website via Upromise for an additional 5% cash back. I wasn't able to find a discount gift card so to get my preferred 70% off, I was going to need to find some hot sales too.

I did find some things I liked and we could use. In the end I only had $30 worth of items in my shopping cart. I was going to need to spend another $10 on something I didn't really need in order to use my $10 rewards. That doesn't make any sense. It's not savvy or smart. So I just let it go.

That reward expires on 1/31 so I can check back in a couple of weeks. But what if I can't use it then? Just leave $10??? Nope...coupon karma. There are countless couponing forums where you can sell or share codes that you're not going to use. If you're not familiar with those, use www.retailmenot.com. Give it to someone who can use it and one day when you're looking for a code you'll find someone else who is sharing one they don't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment