Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Never Pay Retail - Even at a Thrift Store

Do you think of shopping at a thrift store as paying retail or getting a great buy? For me it's a little of both.

When you're at a thrift store, you're considering the deal you're getting comparable to a full-priced brand-new item, but that is not what you are buying. There are even better deals to be made at thrift stores if you see them as another retailer (of used, donated merchandise) and you will not pay full-price (as your personal mantra).

How do you do it? Well, the same as everywhere else. Shop the sales, use the coupons, sign up for rewards and work their system to your benefit.

At my Goodwill stores, they have different colored price tags and to keep inventory moving they mark down a new color each week by 50% and the previous week's sale color gets marked down to $1.29 on Sunday and Monday. That's when I go shopping!! I want those $1.29 deals. Yes, there are fewer items to choose from, but there are still plenty of treasures to be found.

My Goodwill also gives out a 30% off one item coupon for every donation. I continually have a box tucked in a closet that I'm filling with unused and outgrown items that need a new home. I'm helping keep my hosue organized and have a coupon on hand for those days when I find a must-have item that isn't market down to $1.29.

It takes patience and control, but when you're aware of the deals and looking for them, you find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment