Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Save on Holiday Decorating

Regardless of the holiday or season you're decorating, if you're patient and intentional in your approach, you can get some fabulous decorations for a fraction of the retail price.

Over the years, we collect more and more pieces, until we have a lovely stash to choose from. Instead of an impulse buy where you see something you like prior to the holiday and pick it up at maybe 20% or, heaven forbid, full retail, wait until after the holiday and pick up something new for the following year.

Ya, ya...you've heard this before and probably have done it, but take it a step further now. Today I browsed through the beautiful Christmas decorations at Pier 1 Imports. The store is irrelevant and so is the holiday, this could be applicable any time. I scoped out some terrific items that I would love to add to my collection and I purchased nothing at the store today.

I will, however, visit them again on the 26th. In preparation, I did go online and bought a discount gift card at CardCash.com for 21.5% off the face value of the card. Another favorite discount gift card website is MonsterGiftCard.com. Discounts vary, but today CardCash had the better deal.

I'll use 75% off as my after-holiday discount estimate. Here's how the savings would stack up:
  • Retail price $100 @ 75% off brings the price to $25
  • Paid with my gift card that was discount 21.5% saves another $7.13
  • Amount paid = $17.87 or a total of 82% off
Now you know I'll be checking for coupons too. Fingers crossed that I'll find one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment