Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Volunteer Perks at the Consignment Sale

These large consignment sales are operated by volunteers. I highly recommend it! Here are some of the perks:
  • More $$ - for me an additional 5% payout on the items I have for sale
  • Opportunity to shop early before the sale opens to the public and before the 50% off sale
  • Sneak peaks at all the goodies
  • Meeting new people
  • Being part of a big effort to bring value to families and recycle toys, clothes, and more
First, sign up on the website for the time and type of shift you're interested in. You can choose the length of time (typically 4 hours will earn you the minimum incentives) and the type of work (set up, break down, sale, etc.). I always try to schedule my shift to coincide with drop off, pick up, or my shopping time so it saves me from an extra trip to the event.

Here's what to expect:
  • Check in when you arrive - it may not be obvious where to go, but just ask
  • There may be organized teams or just informal assigned tasks
  • There may be snacks/water, but I also bring something
  • Dress as you would for shopping - be comfy, carry essentials in your pockets (no purse)
You are there to work, but I do take an opportunity to sneak a peek at the loot. At one large sale a team of us was assigned to inspect as many clothes as we could. It didn't matter which clothes so I picked the size I would be shopping for my daughter. Then I had an idea of items to look for when shopping the next day :) Yesterday I was asked to clean up the shoe shelves - yippee!!! I had already scored big on the shoes at the presale, but I had a chance to thoroughly go through all the rest again.

I have done several different types of shifts and tasks and always enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment